Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
E70 CCC No sound Solved: Bad Telemetrics Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
Do you get any door chimes or ANY sound from the car's sound system?

If not then it might be as simple as a broken MOST connection somewhere.
I wasn't getting any chimes or sound from any source.

It turned out to be a bad telemetrics unit...

I decided to get a MULF2 Hi given that all of the telemetrics stuff is obsolete. I could have gone with a combo box for streaming bluetooth and other features but I have an android head unit which is CCC so I wouldn't need or be able to use most of the newer combox features...

For reference I had these strange symptoms before it failed which eventually pointed me to the TCU (telemetrics unit).

• The radio would ocassionially change stations when I switched form park to drive (when getting the mail, etc). This seemed weird but If the TCU was on its way out it makes sense since it was on the CAN bus...
  • Friends would sometimes say that my bluetooth audio was garbled. It would be that way until turn the car off.
  • I would get sound cut outs with followed by a chime (this was more common in the days before it failed).

The MULF2 is almost pin compatible with the TCU. I bought a MULF2 High that came with a cut off pigtail. With that I was able to just swap the blue connector from the new unit with the white one that came on the E70. I then cut off the little tab on the creaminput on the MULF2 for the bluetooth antenna (white wire).

I got sound immediately when I turned the car on with the MULF2 but it is not currently pairing the bluetooth. I think I will have to code the car to get bluetooth back. This will likely mean writing the VIN to the MULF2 and then I expect that when I add 6FL to my VO that I will need to add the AUX wiring back to the MULF2 OR cod the radio to turn on its AUX inputs instead.

The audio quality should be better with the shielded AUX going to the MULF2 (instead of a converting to digital in the head unit and then sending it back to the MULF to be converted to analog again).

At any rate I know what failed now. I also have a spare CCC head unit and a spare PL4 Top Hifi amp... Does anyone need a CCC head unit?