View Single Post
      11-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHorton View Post
Dude you guys nailed it. I went outside and climbed under the car, felt around and sure enough...all of the wires were ripped out. Looks like the chunk of tire stuck out and ripped the wires to shreds. Wow...a bit of a bad move on BMW's part to leave wires exposed like that.

The real question now is whether this is a warranty matter or an insurance matter? The piece of road that did my tire in had a heavy rumble strip in the center since the road is known for nighttime accidents from people falling asleep. Right as I crossed it the tire went. Friggin sucks but at least it's a tangible issue that can be fixed. I just wonder at what expense.
Never saw your movie so no wonder I didn't get the reference.

I think the insurance vs. warranty might be decided based on what the tire manufacture states about the condition of the tire. If it had a lot of miles on it, it might be called negligence (from not checking the condition) so that would mean your comprehensive. If it's a low mileage tire (under 20K used) then you might have a claim against the tire manufacture for faulty construction. You probably want to get the serial numbers and such off the failed tire. If it was a damaged road, the state could be liable but the only option I can't fathom would be warranty work. The exposed wires could be bad design which a BMW dealership could probably "choose" to cover themselves to remove any class action suits but it was the failed tire that impaired the electronics so the tire was the culprit, not a failure on the vehicle itself, right?
Appreciate 0