View Single Post
      11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M and E60 M5

Seriously? Car went full-retard on me...

So, my fiancee and I were driving home from my parents' house after Thanksgiving and as I was passing a couple of cars (2-lane desert highway) I crossed a bit of really rough road. All of a sudden there was a LOUD rattling sound, so we pulled over. It turns out that part of our inner sidewall came undone on our passenger-side rear tire. The tires were somewhat worn but not quite to where they weren't ok to drive on anymore, so this was a surprise. Being that the car is on the OEM runflats, we were able to pull off to the side of the road safely thankfully.

What was really weird though was the fact that the car went absolutely haywire when this happened. We got just about every single warning the car could throw at us and I have no idea what happened. Here is a list of what came up on the iDrive:

Braking and Chassis Stabilization Malfunction
ABS Malfunction
Brake pads worn to minimum thickness
Servotronic Malfunction
EDC Malfunction
Parking Brake Malfunction
Dynamic Damping Control has failed
DSC Malfunction

I got the red shock absorber, the red car on a lift, a yellow parking brake symbol, a check engine light, and a yellow ABS light.

The car literally freaked out. Has this happened to anyone before?

I spoke to my service adviser and told him what happened. I explained that I had new wheels and tires ready to go on the car so he said to put them on and bring it in then as they'd just make me buy a new rear tire. He said these warnings might be due to the damaged tire, but I'm worried it's something more serious. Can anyone give me some advice here or am I at the mercy of the BMW Service techs? I'm just trying to ease my mind until Wednesday when I can take the car to them.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Last edited by KrisHorton; 11-27-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0