02-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I'm not in NY so can't help you there, but I'd just be careful with cars in that region due to salt and whatever else they put on the roads. There was an X5 here in Seattle that had come from NJ, I had a PPI done on it and it was corroded to hell on the underside. Not saying they're all that way, but something to have checked for sure. I passed on that one, ended up getting one out of CA.

My M3 came from OH and while it's not too bad, there's been a few rusted nuts/bolts on the underside that had to be cut off and replaced to do certain jobs, they were too rusted to remove properly. Which is exactly what the shop told me on the X5, the corrosion doesn't impact much, other than repairs and extra time to access underside, remove/possibly replace hardware, etc.
I guess the flip side to that is also how well the vehicle was maintained and cleaned. I purchased a 2012 x5 with 100k miles and while I had it in the air and removed the plastic underbody panels it was so clean you could eat off it, no corrosion at all was very impressed and this was a Chicago vehicle. !

As you stated not all are effected by the rust belt if their owner gave a hoot!
Appreciate 0