08-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Okay......
Intake adjustable cam sprocket was seized/locked up on retarded position as mentioned earlier 1st post code pulled. Not sure how that happened as these things are just spring loaded. I opened it up and everything looks to be nothing out of the ordinary. Removing the central bolt to the cam sprocket on the intake was a lot harder than the exhaust for being torque down 30nm+90 degree.
Ordered 4 new ones to change both bank.

Further inspection, chain guides were broken ahhhh!! This was only on 1 bank. Haven’t have time to open the other yet.

Question for Mr.Rednex:
Do you think I’m able to remove the timing cover without removing the head? I was searching and saw a picture of a shop doing a timing chain job with the head still intact. I guess just sliding the cover out?
I think its worth a shot as pulling the heads in car is not a fun job. The head gaskets do reach into the timing chain cover but that part of the gasket is not sealing any combustion gasses and just needs to be oil tight so I think s very light coating of rtv (paper thin) will work just fine when putting back together. If memory serves, BMW has you use rtv sealant in that area anyway when you pull the heads as I remember having to use some there.

Did you have a chance to borescope your cylinders to ensure no piston/valve damage?

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 08-04-2020 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0