View Single Post
      06-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 435GC / 18 440GC

Smile X6 35 First Drive Thoughts

I was the first to receive the X6 from my dealership - what a car! I have about 30 miles on it now (specs below) and here are my first thoughts.

Wheels make the difference! The 20" wheels are absolutely stunning (like the 335 with sport, the rear tires are wider than the fronts as well (275 & 315). The sport package will get you the 20" wheels with performance tires (not suitable for winter weather, so you may opt for all seasons). For those of you interested, after some checking around, BMW and others have recommended the Michellin Latitude All Season Tires (same ones for the X5, available through BMW or slightly cheaper from tirerack).

Ride is amazing. Low RPM power provides smooth acceleration and immediate response. Sport package adds the dymanic performance control (adaptive drive), a sport mode (button) which I haven't even used yet. The auto-height adjustment is pretty cool too - stiffens up the car, especially around turns, reducing the "roll" effect. Acceleration is surprising for a vehilce that size (having test drive both 08 X5 engines, I'd still go for the X6). Very firm, fluid response and performance. Just the right level of audible rumble from the exhaust compliments the drive without becoming overbearing.

Upgraded audio system provides 16 speakers with 600 watts, USB hookup and 6-disc glovebox DVD changer (yes, DVD changer). Load up the MP3 songs on DVD or USB flash drive (my preferred method - 16GB flash drives fro $100). MP3 playback from flash drive is awesome and flexible, reading directory, artist, album, song title, genre and playlists.

Interior is very spacious, seats are extremely comfortable - definitely go for the multi-contours! Seat bolsters for sport driving are a welcome addition and I like the ability to adust the upper half of the seat back as I tend to sit forward. With wood trim, there's still some aluminum trim to compliment it perfectly, nice touch BMW. Rear seats are easy to get in and out of. I'm 5'11", no problem sitting comfortable in the back. Rear climate package adds individual climate controls for rear passangers to compliment the dual climate in the front (which can also be controlled via idrive). Heated rear seats a nice touch for winter trips to NH.

Forget using the rear window, any test drive will confirm that in 3 seconds. Larger mirrors help, but you do have to be aware of the size of the car. Still would have been nice to have a rear wiper. The window may not have been that beneficial, but it's perfectly useless when wet.

Park distance is loaded in front and rear and rather useful. The rear camera is disappointing (had this on my 06 Infiniti FX which was great) - it's very blurry and difficult to see. Kudos that when in Reverse, the tech package splits the dash monitor to show PDC sensor and rear camera simultaneously.

Auto tailgate is nice with adjustable height for opening (set via idrive) and when fully open, is quit high. Comfort access and auto tailgate make loading very convenient. Would have been nice to have power folding seats via front and cargo area buttons, but we're left with manual controls. Cargo room is surprisingly spacious too, despite the steep slope of the roof.

Overall, very pleased with the car. Turns heads everywhere. Definitely a unique look without compromising driving performance. It's not my 335, but it's fun to drive!

Auto/space grey/black
Premium Pckg
Sport Pckg
20" Wheels w/perf tires
Cold Weather Pckg
Rear Climate Pckg
Premium Sound Pckg
Satellite
Tech Pckg
Rear Camera
Auto Tailgate
Multi-Contour Seats