01-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #62
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35 View Post
Not about the $$ man. It's about the marque and the pedigree. Sometimes keeping true to the history and heritage of the brand is worth a lot more than the $$. If you stray too far then you lessen its value.

Porsche has a lot of history and has done some great things in the racing world, and has a number of consumer automotive technologies "1st's" to it's credit as well, but basically speaking a Porsche is just a car.

People tend to elevate "marque and the pedigre" to god-like status, but if you look under the thin metal skin of a Porsche - at the purely mechanical aspect of the car - there really isn't much that separates a Porsche from any other car on the road, including BMW. A 911, Cayman, Ceyanne, Boxster, etc. are made of a few different types of metal, various grades of plastic, leather, foam rubber, some electronic circuitry, one or two exotic materials like cf.

They all use virtually the same manufacturing techniques. It comes down to how many they produce a year. A Ferrari review I read the other day commented on the robotized Ferrari factory as "eerily silent" - talk about a great marque. . . using robots?! Chevy and Ford could both argue with Porsche and Ferrari "my robots are better than your robots!". Ferrari's quality control has finally come up but that's due to automating most of their their plants. Let me see, if I turn up the speed on the robot, I could make twice as many. . .for the same cost. . .hmmm.

Saying that one brand is "junk" ignores the basic fact that all such companies are run by accountants. Besides, isn't Porsche just another subsidiary of Volkswagen these days? I see Lamborghini reviews where people are calling them more expensive Audi's.

Just remember, you may love them but they have no love for you (except your wallet). Take your blinders off.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-31-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0