10-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
I have a 3.5i with a good amount of options, but not the sport package or paddle shifters. I have been missing my paddle shifters from all previous cars I have driven and with the wight of the steering in this car it would be very convenient to have the shifters on the steering wheel instead of using the stalk.

Is it possible to retrofit a steering wheel with shifters? (maybe the entire assembly from an x5m?)

This has pretty much been my only complaint with the truck (well i guess i also wish it had all the new technology bells and whistles of the 2014s but oh well).
I researched this quite a bit before buying an X5M wheel with paddles myself. I have never seen anybody retrofit the paddles - not saying it's not possible but everybody I've seen on here just bought a new steering wheel that already had paddles. I regards to compatibility...

X5D - won't work, even with the Sport Package. There are several members here who did this swap and the paddles didn't work, even after coding attempts.

35i or 50i - there are members here who have done this swap and the paddles worked, however all of them had the Sport or M Sport package. It might work if you have the Base or Premium trim 35i, but I couldn't say as I've never seen a member do this swap and post results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCAL BMW View Post
I am also interested. Is it PNP or will it requiring coding?
PNP yes...no coding. You are good to go since you have the M Sport. You must have an earlier build 2012 like me as it doesn't sound like you have paddles. Later 2012's got them.

I was lucky to find a new X5M wheel on this forum but in general they are really hard to find. I come from the E46 and you can find M3 wheels everywhere - new, used, etc.

My only small complaint about the paddles....mated w/ the 8 speed auto in the LCI gas models, it's just constant shifting. Too much so IMO. I see these being more fun on the X5M with the 6 speed auto. Still a nice upgrade - some minor changes to the button configuration though they all still work, and you get the M tri-stitching which looks sharp.
Appreciate 0