08-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
"3. Use manual trans going down hill to save on the brakes."

This is a Great Idea if you like to change TRANSMISSIONS!
I prefer to change brake pads and rotors.

Brakes are for Stop, Gas is for Go.
Lol...I think he is referring to the manual mode or shifttronic. Slap the shifter to the left which will put up in sport mode then pull back on it to shift up and enter manual mode while driving. You can do this from a stop and push the stick forward to enter first gear. The indicator will switch from "D" to "DS" for sport then "Mx" for Manual. The little "x" in "Mx" is the gear you are currently in e.g. M1, M2, M3 etc. It's more convenient when you have paddle shifters but works great for mountain driving etc when you're going down hill. Using the tranny in a low gear to engine brake will keep your brakes from burning up or catching fire or causing damage to the lines.

Edit: Ha! I just realized you meant that if you use shifttronic you will destroy your tranny...I'm not sure using the transmission for its intended function would damage it as long as you use it appropriately. Preventative maintenance should help...swap the fluid at regular intervals. Have you heard about a lot of tranny failures? I've read of some failures on the 07-08 models from defects but not a lot of usage failures.

Last edited by jandref321; 08-31-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0