Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nuts View Post
I'm in the market for a Porsche 911, was looking initially at a new Carrera or Carrera S
The only car the dealer had on the lot was a 4S model with manual transmission, and I got to test drive it on short loop that included a nice twisty stretch, the car definitely left me underwhelmed and wanting more, felt like the steering is vague with no feel and the car doesn't want to rotate, I currently own a Honda S2000 and a BMW M4 and the 4S driving experience was muted and dull compared to the 2 cars I own, the steering is inferior to both the S2000 and the M4, the Carrera engine felt lazy, rubbery and lacks response compared to the M4 and the S2000 (we are not talking horsepower or toque)
So what am I missing here? is it the 4 wheel drive system that made the car lose the steering feel or the turbo charged engine or the electronic steering assist or all of the above?
It was a short test drive but I usually get a good feel of a car even for a short drive, the sales guy was nice enough and let me rev it up and push hard. Stock is kinda limited at Porsche dealers where I live, and they are usually grumpy about test drives, so I would like to narrow it down to one model before I make another trip to a dealer.
I know the 911 should be great, was expecting something as sharp as the Honda S2000 but with a lot more power, but that wasn't the case.
Any one had a similar experience? I prefer to buy new, but I'm open to pre-owned, was thinking maybe older non turbo charged rear wheel drive Carrera would be what I'm looking for? maybe even a 997 with the hydraulic steering?
Not looking for tons of power or torque, I need a 911 with sharp response that is enjoyable to drive.
for those who owned or driven 911s I really appreciate your opinion and input
Thanks!
I test drove the carrera S and wasn't impressed. Went next door to the Jag dealer and test drove the F-type and signed the papers immediately after. The drive , looks, sound. Porsche didn't even come close, couldn't be happier with my decision..
Appreciate 0