View Single Post
      05-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
i worked with a guy that drove his last gen 5.0 all winter long thru many Boston winters. never asked him how he felt about it but i assume confident enough to keep doing it. i drive my M3 all year with snows. i know thats a lil different with not as much torque, slimmer tires and the ability to turn the power down. what you need to really consider isn't how much snowfall you tend to get but how much snow you tend to encounter on the road. some cities and areas aren't very prompt and let the snow build up and plow here and there and some cities are right on it plowing regularly. i drive the M3 during snow mostly because theres never really more than 3" on the road at any given time
I agree you need to look at where you live and what the plowing situation is, although in some cases here, dry cold snow gives you much better traction than many of the other possibilities, and not that it's great, but it's miles better than freezing rain, snow on ice, ice...

Those old 5.0s aren't a very good comparison though to how skinny the wheels already are on them, easier and cheaper to get studded tires for those and their tiny brakes surely clear cheap steel wheels that can be used for winter tires. I never really thought those were "serious" cars due to how skinny the tires were, the brakes, the solid rear end, tiny gas tank, etc. The GT350 is a whole 'nother animal and it's 100% serious IMO.

Also, modulating a clutch in some of these situations is much easier than trying to manage it with an auto, but it'll wear your leg out having to feather it so much to get going in the snow, ends up being very not-fun real fast.
Appreciate 0