View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #38
JohnelP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 5

Coming back to timing chain guide rails....

Lower cover removal (N63)
I have realized one thing that pushes me even further to change the chain guides. I realized the upper oil pan has the same "pools like" - little walls on the inside that form pools trapping debris. And since my smaller plastic debris reached the lower oil pan, I assume there may be more in the upper pan, and chain guides could be in worse condition than I think.
@TwinSnailz - I was looking at your picture taken from techmax.ca where they took the lower cover off without removing the oil pan and cyl heads. I looked the pictures of the part itself (some ebay photos) and it has 2 dowels that prevent any play up or down. Just forward. There are no other grooves to prevent it to slide forward if pushed hard, and overcome the pressure cylheads are compressing in the dowels. Hence your experience for not being able to take it out without cyl heads off. I am thinking to take the upper oil pan off first, slide a small long steel rod behind the cover, until I can catch a portion of it at the water pump hole, get a steel rope through the water pump hole, hook the steel rod and use that as one pull point. I would use the area at the oil sump as the second pull point. Biggest risk is to break the cover, since its aluminum, but I think it is way cheaper to change the cover rather touching the head gasket, take the turborchagers out, exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts.... One concern would be the head gasket portion in contact with the lower cover. If pulled forward hard(er) while the head still pushes on it, may damage that portion of head gasket. It may not seal for high pressures (as that area is not part of cyl head special tighten sequence), so maybe not a tragedy. However, would it disturb the pressure on the nearest 2 cyl head bolts towards the pistons? And disturb the pressure on those 2 head bolts, and mess the seal? Dn't know, asking for opinions now, rather than cry later. I am not talking about the outermost 2 bolts that secure the cover to the cyl head, but the 2 head bolts towards the cylinders that matter if disturbed. Not sure. Rhetorical question to quantify if I should even try it or not.
Or maybe sacrifice the cover, cut it around the dowels from the start? With oil pan removed, and without the dowels it should slide out....
Next question would be if I have clearance to slide over (or twist?) the guide rails in the bearing bolts. I think twisting may not help as the rail is curved. Or maybe a "light" combination of both? Don't know how tight the space in the cyl head is to twist the rails, but I assume with the top timing covers off, I may gain some space.
It's a gamble to judge from pictures only....

I need to get an engine hoist and stand. Would a 1000 lb engine stand be enough for the complete engine? Or should I go to the 1 ton model?
Appreciate 0