Thread: Remote Start?
View Single Post
      10-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #32
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Hi All. Forum and X5 newbie here, but hobbyist installer of many electronical whizz-bangs in all things motoring over my 25 year driving career.

From what I can tell so far, the Flashlogic FLRSBM1 is the only way to get RS in the cars with the Comfort Access feature. If you don't have CA, you could (theoretically) get by with something much cheaper such as the one by Directed Electronics (I don't have the exact module # handy, sorry - but I have it installed in my 2007 VW Passat). The DEI requires some wiring though - you gotta be comfortable snipping a few things up under the dash. that DEI RS module cost me about $80 when I bought it 3 years ago. To program it, I had to buy the $30 USB-to-DEI interface cable, download the specific program for my car from their website and use my desktop computer to flash the module. Then the module plugs into the car and gives you 3-unlock or 3-lock RS.

Again, from what I can gather so far - the Flashlogic module seems to work the same way only with substantially more expensive equipment. It also doesn't require a donor key to bypass the immobilizer. Cheapest price I can find on eBay for the module itself is $500. The flash cable is another $45, then from there you sign up on their website as an indy installer and download the right binary file for your rig and away you go. Into it for <$550 if you're at all proficient enough with basic hand tools to get under the dash and plug in a couple harnesses.

Has anybody done this themselves yet? I'm planning to, but need to pay a couple other bills off first before I'll feel okay about spending the $545 it'll take to give it a go. Had $4k in unexpended medical bills show up in the mail so gotta deal with those first. Curious to know who else has tried this on their own already though.

Thanks,

Greg
Appreciate 0