View Single Post
      06-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 435GC / 18 440GC

Here's an update:

The auto tailgate can't be closed from the remote or the dash button - only from the switch on the tailgate itself. I understand this is for safetey - but then tell me why the hatch closes very quickly and doesn't stop when it hits an obstruction like an outstretched arm? This is very disappointing as the auto tailgates in the Lexus and new Nissan Murano have this protection (and I think the Murano hatch closed from the dash button). Bad design BMW! Maybe we can fix this with software? Unlikely, but maybe? I must admit I've been spoiled by my 2 week old 335 Convertible which allows closing the windows and roof from the remote - if it's ok for the convertible, it should be ok for all the cars BMW! Anyone listening? The cargo area includes a removable tri-fold cover that hides the contents of the cargo bay. Unlike other SUVs that have shades, this is a hard surface cover which can be used as a shelf to hold additional items (couldn't find an official weight, but I'd guess 10 - 20 pounds).

I spoke with my salesman who confirmed others have complained about the blurry rear camera and nothing can be done. There is no plan for BMW to correct or update this - that's not what I would expect from a company like BMW, but I just buy cars, I don't design/make them.

I also forgot to mention a nifty feature of the blurry camera. If you're familiar with rear cameras, you know there are "guide" lines that show you the path behind you as you move in reverse. In this version, the lines will curve as you turn the wheel to show you're projected path as well. Except for clarity of actual objects, the curving pathway is very nice!

Like the 5 sedan, the heated front seats can be adjust to direct more heat to the back or the botton of the seat (I prefer the back - who want's swamp a$$!).

And for my final report - here's a nifty trick which I believe applies to all current BMWs. I find the direction (NSEW) in the rearview mirror to be annoying, especially when I see it in NAV. So, if you want to hide the direction from the mirror, you'll notice there's a small hole underneath the rearview mirror on the right hand side. Stick a paperclip or pen in there for a few seconds, the light will go out. If you check your manual, it will give you further details/instructions on how to use this button to make additional modifications to the direction indicator in the rearview mirror. My salesman was impressed when I showed him this trick (it's in the book!) - but he agrees with me and assured me he would do the same in his 1 series.

More to come as my driving continues!
Appreciate 0