View Single Post
      04-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My Performance Pickup Experience

Picked my new 2011 X6 50i at the Performance Pickup Center in SC. The center is really beautiful, they have tons of rides of all makes. We had a group of about 8 folks mainly from the east coast, DC to Florida. 3 were picking up X's 1 X6 M, 1 X5 M and me with my lowly x6 50i. the other folks were picking up a 3er and 1er and maybe a 5er.

We met with a professional BMW driver who had a ton of driving history. races formula cars for BMW (currently and also is a counter terrorist driving instructor for BMW that trains US Secret Service and various others. His driving was amazing, just amazing. I can't remember his name ATM. He drove a 5M sedan to the limit, which was so fun. He took us all for a few hot laps with him while he drove. WOW!!
then the three of us who were picking up the X's took the X5 M and X6 M took to the track. I was so impressed with the raw power and handling. The instructor demonstrated the DSC system by driving a M5 sedan at high speed thru the slick wet part of the course to demo 360 slides with DSC off, then showed how the DCS system works by engaging brakes at with milisecond intervals and voila no skidding. we all took turns trying that.
the X's then did a cool off road course which was wild. I really thought my X5 30d was going to rollover at a few sections. the vehicles all had moto handheld walkies so we could hear his insturctions.
Lunch is served in a really nice cafeteria with many options.
The best part imo, was the manufacturing tour. 3.5 millions Sq Feet that produce 600 X vehicles per day. 70% go out of the US. Fully robotic lines. lots of people busy building cars. no cameras or cellphones were allowed inside, they made a big deal about this point, so no pics only memories. but was really really cool.

Here are the photobucket link:
http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/v...jays/BMW%20X6/
Appreciate 0