Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
Thanks Rich,
Would prefer not to run spacers. We need coilovers and a fabricator to make new arms, etc. specifically designed for lifting the e70.

Asked BC racing about a year or so back and they advised against modifying their coilovers that are made for lowering the e70. I happen to have a set sitting in the garage. I've also asked BDS and they have no plans to make a kit for the x5.

Would be great if you could use your contacts to get something rolling. Let us know, thanks!
Coilovers for lowering wouldn't be a good fit. They usually have only 5-6" of total travel and we would want more travel not less. (I am actually a BC dealer in another life/forum).

From looking at my e70 x5 with the 30.5" wheels (265/60/18) it rubs just a little in the front with a 24mm offset wheel. If I were to lift it only 1" or so it would likely be worse than it is now because of the shape of the front wheel arch. We would have to do a custom front bumper OR lift enough to get the center of the wheel below the arch.

So there are a few big limiters in going beyond 265/60/18 on an e70.
  • The upper ball joint hits the wheel unless you offset well over 1".
  • The wheel arch is closer at the bottom of the wheel well.
  • Axle angles would have to be fixed as the suspension is lifted.
  • Caster "should" be fixed as lifted, Adjustable upper control arms could fix that.

The wheel arch is the main reason I called it good with the 1.5" taller tires which gives a bit more than 3/4" of lift. Having AT tires that I can air down vs runflats is going to be by far the biggest bang for the buck on an e70 X5 that sees some dirt.

The rear seems easier to lift than the front but as with the front lifting it and having it be right is probably much more difficult...

If I wanted to really go off roading I would buy an older grand cherokee or a wrangler, or a 4runner (or perhaps not have sold my old XJ cherokee).

Where I am now I want to have some comfort on my way to camping or whatever. If I got super stuck I could probably just leave my e70 on the trail and buy another one and it would be more economical than buying a Wranger or 4runner which are both WAY overpriced....

-Rich