View Single Post
      02-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

It could be the sensor. I’d just swap it out and see what happens...too easy to remove the old one and just follow the same patch for the new one.

As long as you actually take care of your car and pay attention to pad levels then you technically don’t have to replace the sensor. It’s really basic...the sensor clips into the pad and is covered in plastic and when the pads wear down it rubs the plastic off and touches the rotor, triggering the brake light. The wires could also go bad or the metal snap that holds it in place in the pad could break and cause problems triggering the brake light. Otherwise you can just use the old one. As long as you never let the pads get so low that it rubs the plastic off the sensor.

I like buying kits because they usually come with new pads, rotors, sensors, lube, etc...but they don’t have full kits for the X5M because of the front rotor size unless you get an ECS kit. I forgot last time I swapped pads and ended up buying sensors and installing the next week, no biggie.
Appreciate 0