Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
Sounds like a nice machine and monitor set-up Dave.
My desktop pc, running W7 Home Premium is over 3 years old, has served me well, but maybe an upgrade would be nice.
My current set-up uses an i5 processor, a nice NVidia graphics card and 16GB RAM.
The upgrade to W10 is sat there on the pc waiting to go, but I'm sitting tight just at the moment.
I upgraded my Toshiba laptop to W10 just over a month ago and I really like it. No problems so far, but upgrading the desktop with numerous peripherals - 2 printers, scanner, 2 external HDDs, together with some older software - is a different matter.

My business partner had a real bad experience trying to upgrade a four-year old desktop to W10 from W7. The problems mainly related to drivers of the peripherals, including the network card. He just, last night, upgraded the CPU and did a clean swipe of the HD and finally has it running smoothly, after futzing around with it for days, off and on.

You can see W10 on your laptop. I'm not so sure that it's worth an upgrade on an old desktop. The picture viewer will open some Raw files, but it's not even up to date enough to open my 7D MkII files. My partner has a 60D and it opens those Raw files. I'd love to dump Iranfanview, but one guy seems to keep that up to date, while big corporations, like Microsoft, put in the function and then don't support it. Anyway, I'm not sure there's much gain if you're not going to use a touchscreen. I'm equally happy with the W7 and W10 interfaces.

With any upgrade, check to see if your hardware provider(s) has driver upgrades for W10. Lenovo does and I think that others do also. My W10 install couldn't find my old printer until I manually installed its W7 driver.

Dave