dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
New Coputer

My new Canon 5DsR, high resolution, full-frame camera pumps out Raw files in the 70mb range. With my old Windows 7, 2.x mhz processor and 8G of Ram, things were manageable, but slow. Processing in DxO Optics Pro was slowing and applying the DxO's PRIME noise reduction (a pixel-by-pixel tool) was taking painful minutes per file.

My business partner cratered his Windows 7 PC by trying to install Windows 10 (DON'T DO IT) and started having constant HD errors and other concerning issues, so we decided to upgrade him. We looked at Dell, HP and Lenovo, but ended up with PowerSpec X503, through MicroCenter, because they were the only ones with Windows 10 installed, and in-stock. (Others gave you Windows 7 or 8.1 installed, along with an upgrade coupon).

We went with the X503, which is really a gaming computer, but comes with W-10 installed, i7-quad core processor at 4+mhz, 16G of Ram and a burning graphics card. We upgrade together, so I got one also.

I can now preview my Raw files instantaneously. Full-screen previews, with corrections are only a second or so and applying PRIME only takes seconds instead of minutes.

I've got an NEC monitor with proprietery SpectraView calibration software. The new graphics card even makes the monitor look better. I'm getting almost 100% of sRGB color and more than 90% of RGB. With the old computer, it was more like 90% and 80%, with the SAME MONITOR. Graphics cards DO make a difference.

You can save a few bucks by foregoing the solid state HD, but I love SS on startup and loading programs and moving files around.

Dave