01-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #4
80t0ylc
Retired ol' fart
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 X5 48I, '94 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
The armrest USB does not hook to your CCC head unit. It uses something called a MULF2 HI in the hatch. Adding it is not a simple plug and play mod and the car will need to be programmed to support it. Search mulf retrofit to learn more.

Even then the USB technology is old and really only works with an old ipod. You can buy an ipod emulator such as a tune2air which will add bluetooth.

2010 and up E70 use the newer idrive 2 (CIC) which supports the combox which is a more modern USB/Bluetooth connectivity device. Search CIC or Combox retrofit for more info.
Thanks for bringing me back to reality. That explains why USB is not a choice under "Entertainment" on the idrive. Basically, all I was hoping to do is be able to use my music loaded thumb drives as my music source, in addition to the cd & radio. I don't load any music on my iphone 8, nor do I want to. Guess I could find something that accepts thumb drives and plug it into the aux port in the armrest. Being new to BMW, I need to learn the ackronyms new to me (CCC, MULF2 HI, CIC). I can't even get the phone to pair up on Bluetooth or the garage door opener to clone. Sure like the way it drives, though! I'll do some research as you suggest. Thanks, again!