Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
pennsiveguy ntg44

Any bass recs for a guy who has been playing the same guitar licks for 17 years? I’m thinking maybe picking up a short scale at some point
Shorter scale basses sometimes sound okay, but there's no escaping the physics of it; the shorter the scale, the less "bass-y" it's going to sound.

Start with the Fender Precision and Jazz Basses. There's a reason they're so ubiquitous. The P-bass is the go-to for Rock 'n Roll, and the Jazz typically has some sounds that work well for blues and jazz. The P-bass has less taper in the neck, which some people prefer and some don't. It really comes down to what feels comfortable in your hands and your ears. Your technique and hand position come into play too, but I'd say (some day when we're able to go to a shop and play stuff) just go try out a bunch of basses. Try to bring along your own "mini-rig," a portable device you can plug any bass into, and your own headphones or earbuds. Otherwise you're plugging into different rigs at every store, which brings into play a whole other big set of variables that will make for "apples vs. oranges vs. bananas" comparisons.