View Single Post
      09-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
lchaidez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Lightbulb E70 - Self Level (AirBag) Suspension Components

Hey guys. Question.

I'm looking into getting a self-leveling air bag system for the rear end. I've seen a few X5's with the oem air bag in the rear instead of the springs. My question is pretty straight forward, hoping some of you can assist.

What components would I need to make it work with my 2011 X5 x35d? Is there a site or reference of someone installing this on an X5 that didnt have it? I've researched left and right. Maybe my search criteria isnt sufficient.

Here is what I've compiled so far.

- Left and Right rear Air Bags (instead of springs)
- Air Supply Device (Pump)
- Required plumbing, silicone, rubber hoses etc to each of the components
- Control Unit Module (aka. Computer), Fuses etc., Harnesses etc.

Am I missing anything? Aside from the obvious hardware, clamps etc? Based on my research I have yet to see or locate a "switch" or "trigger" to enable or disable this self-leveling suspension. Or is it just that? It's self leveling and the Control Unit takes care of everything automatically? I find that odd without the use of extra sensors telling the computer that the rear end has dropped. But I could be wrong! Maybe the computer has the sensor built into it.

Perhaps some of you with the 3rd row seat can shed light on the matter and how it works. Whether its a trigger/button inside the car (like the liftgate button) or essentially automatically adjusted. I've noticed a few, if not all X5's equipped with third row seats have the air bags installed.

If you're asking why am I doing this. The answer is I've towed a few things already and the life of my tires have reduced dramatically. Since BMW offered this option. I am wanting to get the package myself and install it.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Even if its resorting to going after market setup. Which I'd rather avoid to keep things OEM! But! Open to it if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0