View Single Post
      06-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
I saw your other post where you taped the u joints on the sides of the tailgate but this picture above is where I seem to be having a problem. Mine is loose as well and can be moved by grabbing it with your finger. Did you ever figure out anyway to get this from moving and making noise?
Yes, while I thought that was the problem due to the noise sounding exactly like what I was hearing on the road. On another forum where I posted the same picture, someone told me to forget about the latch and instead focus on those two side loops, and I did, and it was immediately fixed.

The funny part was I investigated that area earlier, and with the hatch open, and tailgate closed, I pushed and pulled with all of my might back and forth and I couldn't get any type of sound. I actually think the sound is generated by a vertical motion caused up going over speed bumps, etc rather than the lateral movement caused by the hatch or me pulling on the tailgate. Anyways, taping those two things up I guess softens the contact enough to avoid the sharp metal on metal contact. If you want, let me know and I'll take a picture of them taped up, like I said I just wrapped each of the four corners with 2 wraps of electrical tape.

Definitely a design fault for BMW, but man it is SOOO much nicer. I was really getting frustrated driving this car, especially in parking lots without the radio on.

Much, much better. There are still a few annoying plasticy creaks, like when my elbow is on the center console, it can make for a few cheap sounding plastic creaks, and the head rests when touched are so darn cheap and loud, but I can live with that compared to the hatch noise.
Appreciate 0