08-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googone20 View Post
What was required to swap your steering wheel to the newer version? I would love to do that. Really makes the interior more modern.
You need to find a F10 steering wheel, the f10 and the e70 share the same steering shaft, theirs two different newer designs, this one and the other without the gap in between the center spoke you decide what is right for you.

Make sure when you buy the wheel that the airbag is a dual stage airbag to keep with your current North American wiring setup. Lots of the ones on eBay are from Europe and have a single stage and you would have to recode the car.

Many sellers though have the ability to get you a dual stage for a little more money.

This wheel fully loaded with vibro and heat and airbag was $1900 brand new. The deals are out their and these can be had for much less, I've seen them go for as little as $350 used. You just have to keep checking. Wayyyyyyyy cheaper than the dealer.

The last piece of the puzzle is the module from car systems, they sell the module that sets up the wheel to work with the e70.

I have full functions of the wheel and the cruise control now works from the steering wheel vs the lever in the back of the wheel. Now accelerating and decelerating can be done with your thumb vs having to keep playing with the lever in back. That alone was worth the price of the mod because of all my highway driving.

The other reason for the mod is it was about two years before my airbag would be replaced and that's a best guess, and my wife was scared if she got into a wreck what would happen so this puts a new modern airbag that doesn't have the recall issue.
Appreciate 0