View Single Post
      12-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
nardoyno
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.8i

Well, the mechanic has now found a signal that isn't getting to the alternator and thinks he is close to resolving the mystery of why the car lost all electrical power. However, I'm not sure this is related to the failure to start at 36F and below problem. maybe the two issues are unrelated. I had him check the battery and he says the battery looks new and is in warranty and tests good out of the vehicle on a battery tester. So, I don't know what to think about this mess. I guess I will just wait and see if this fixes one or both problems. The failure to start at cold temp problem seems to be a lot more nebulous than the loss of electrical power problem. Seeing if an alternator and battery are functioning correctly is pretty straight forward, while the other issue has allot more variables to consider. Many things could cause the failure to start at cold, and when the engine is being cranked just fine and not firing, well it's either fuel, spark, or airflow that aren't happening. Otherwise, the vehicle would at least be misfiring and it isn't. I mean it's like zero fuel or zero spark is happening when 36F or below. Almost like the computer has decided to just shut down the engine and prevent starting deliberately. It's strange for sure.
Appreciate 0