United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
I just helped a friend buy this '12 X5 35i m-sport with multi-contour seats: paid $28K with 70K mi ... no warranty but previous owner had put extended Maintenance Plan on it through 2018!

If it's the styling you're after, you can even retro-fit the M or m-sport cladding .. it'll take some doing, but it can be done - http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...it-wheels.html

... but nothing beats the real thing, I know.
Nice X5 5.0. 70k miles isn't that much IF it has been kept up. That is the one thing I lament now a days as BMW marketing has almost gotten too good for the good of us who buy used BMWs. Now most buyers don't do ANY maintenance on their cars outside of what BMW does under their maintenance plan which we all know is minimal at best. They'll tell you its cause everything now last longer and has longer intervals but I don't care how good you make your oil...changing it at 20k will have some effect on long term engine life and reliability. That is why I follow the BMW Old Schoo/Lifetime Maintenance Program I got from Mike Miller on Roundel since I started buying and owning BMW's regularly. Yes I know things do break down and fail but I don't have to help that process by just driving the car and only bringing it to BMW when I see a light that tells me ops it time to spend some of BMW's money on maintenance.

Sorry got off subject here. As for X5M vs X5 5.0 yes the 5.0 is a great engine and car and with the M Sport package can look the part but you will spend a bit to get it up to X5M performance standards...I know have done two late model v8 BMW's with Dinan to up the performance ante. Both are great drivers but do lack some of the areas that the M cars just outshine their lesser classmates. I found a CPO'd 2010 X5M with about 40k on the odometer and was able to pick it up for about $1/k luckily from a dealer out of state. So far its one of the best SUV's I've driven with prior one including 2 e53 X5s, a 2nd gen Cayenne and an e71 X6. The X6 would have been my favorite but it was a 3.5L v6 w/out enough power for sure and I spent a ton (including the M package) to upgrade it...which here lies the point I think. If you want the M then get it...just prepare accordingly and maintain it. They're good cars and pretty good on quality when maintained. If not then the X5 5.0 (like the one pictured here) or even the X5d are no sleepers! In fact if they EVER brought the engine in the M550d here in the 5 series and/or the X5 I think BMW would be surprised at how many takers they'd have!

Anyway here's mine.
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0