View Single Post
      12-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fm750i View Post
The amount of energy required to drive an alternator is insignificant relative to the mass and kinetic energy stored in a moving car. What your experiencing is more a feature of the new generation of transmissions than the regenerative braking. In the newer 8 speed transmission it's much more pronounced particularly in the bottom gears. Much more aggressive than the 6 speed in my F01. Takes some getting use to but it feels more like a manual in the lower gears but you have no clutch to disengage. I think the more aggressive down shifts and full engagement feel of the newer transmissions enhances driving dynamics as opposed to detracting from them. Just my opinion. For a heavy SAV the X6 is a lot of fun to drive.
I was under the same impression (that it was the 8 speed auto), but it turns out the X6M does this as well (if not worse - at least from what others have said on this board). I also notice it a lot more when the car is cold, leading me to believe that they are charging the alternator more so than saving the brakes.
Appreciate 0