View Single Post
      02-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #72
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Yes, headers bolt right up to the block but the stock X5M turbos don't bolt up directly to the headers as the flanges are different. You can either get S63TU turbos as well (it's my understanding they're no different and they're exactly the same internally after Pure reworks them) or have your S63 turbo flanges machined to mate up with the S63TU headers. I'm just going the easier route and buying a set of S63TU turbos that'll have the Pure treatment.

Currently I'm running a Halim/HCP Tuning stage 2 tune, custom intake, gutted factory downpipes. I've got a set of aftermarket catless downpipes that are a full 3" and then I plan on copying the S63TU by adding an x-pipe and then MSR gave me some advice to use Vibrant resonators to duplicate their system since it's highly unlikely he'll make a system for the S63. I just got my JB4 and BCM in the mail today, I've kept Halim in the loop so the plan is to do what many of the S63TU did which is run the JB4 as my tuner, datalogger and meth controller and keep Halim's tune as a back end flash.

I don't remember what the requirements are to run stage 2 vs stage 1, but if possible, I'd jump to stage 2 right away. I did it due to a CEL for catless downpipes but even then the power difference was night and day.

Thank you, sir...it's been a rough balance and taken longer than I'd planned since I just bought a house last November, the GF has a 535xiT that she wants to tweak after having driven mine and 3 other cars that want my attention as well lol. At the end of the day this still has to be daily drivable for me as I drive it to work, I'll be taking it to Bimmerfest again this year, etc so I won't be going so crazy as making it E85, race fuel, etc only.
Wow I applaud you sir! You are really sailing through some uncharted waters with these new S63tu headers and turbo upgrades you're doing. I can't wait to hear how its running once you get it all bolted and tuned up!

I can't believe the tu headers bolt right up that's great to know! My car is currently awaiting a valve seal job so I'm thinking about upgrading the headers at the same time now that you've proved its a direct fit. My worry is with machining the stock S63 turbos to mate with the tu headers like you mentioned. Not sure who I could get to do that for me. I would love to upgrade the turbos as well but the valve job in itself is costing a pretty penny so the turbos will mostly likely have to wait. However I'm still really curios what gains could be had by upgrading to tu headers alone and machining the stock turbos to fit.

That JB4 by those Burgertuning guys is awesome. I've been following them for a while and they do some pretty awesome stuff with that fuel mapping and tuning. Just recently saw a post on their instagram of a JB4 + tuned e70 X5M putting down ridiculous numbers at the track. Really impressive stuff.

Your car is going to be absolutely nuts. I envy you very much. Hahaha
Appreciate 0