View Single Post
      05-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
I am looking to buy the Cobb tune as well. I run the JB3 right now. Cobb website lists 9-10 weeks backorder... Many people confuse JB3 stage 1 with JB4 since JB4 is hugely popular with the 1/3 series crowds. Stock N55 boost is 7-10 psi. I think the engine targets a HP/TQ number hence the difference in max boost. The JB3 ups the boost by 3 psi. Cobb has ability to up the boost more which is why I want to try Cobb now. Once they have it back in stock, they will have another X5 customer. I just need to figure out why my car is throwing engine malfunction codes again... 2C86 and 2C58. If Cobb has the tune in stock in Texas, I would love to drive down there and get it tuned by them if I was closer.
Like I said before, call Cobb and give them your VIN to make sure it's compatible, then just go ahead and buy someone's N55 V3 AP on one of the 1 or 3 series forums if they say it'll work. Or just wait. They're cheaper used though. Just make sure they've been unmarried. And no, the engine targets aren't done by expected HP/TQ outputs. It's based on a lot of parameters that yield a given amount of performance as a result, however.

As for your errors, try removing the JB3 and see if it goes away. It could be a wiring thing -- one more reason why I prefer going the AP route. No wiring, and no modifying signals to the ECU. You can likely give Neil a call at Cobb Plano and inquire about tuning via email. ProTuningFreaks also offers this service.

Last edited by LeoBurr; 05-05-2016 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0