View Single Post
      01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #92
ZetaTre
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 and Z4

So here's what the story may be...

The X5 has a fully electronic gear selector and a "Gear Selector Module" (same as the E65 7 series according to BMW literature: the E65 had it mounted in the steering column while we have a lever) and there's only one wire going from the gear selector to the transmission control module (I think it's a LIN-Bus signal). You see this in the attachment called "X5 E70 - Gear Selector". I guess when you put the transmission in "M" and up or downshift the gear selector module process the action internally and sends a processed signal to the transmission module.

If you look at the E60 diagram, you'll notice that that EGS up/down signal are not processed by the gear selector module, but sent directly to the transmission control module through pin 3 and 4 of the X6031. You also see that the version with paddle shifter injects the shifting signal into the same pins.

Long story short: if the wiring from the X6031 to the transmission is the same as the other car, it now makes sense to connect pin 3 and 4 (or whatever the pins are) to the paddle sifters: you're basically wiring it the same as the E60 is wired.

As said you'll have to code the transmission control module to process that signal that it know received directly...

Since it makes sense that the signal is a resistance and not a voltage (I'm saying this because I think a voltage signal would require 3 wires as opposed to 2, but again, don't quote me here) then it's irrelevant which way you connect the pins from behind the slip ring to the X6031.

Looking forward for feedback from someone who can verify this and then I'll pull the trigger on the steering wheel...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X5 E70 - Gear Selector Switch.pdf (65.2 KB, 1230 views)
File Type: pdf 5 E60 E61 - Gear Selector Switch.pdf (86.4 KB, 1333 views)

Last edited by ZetaTre; 01-16-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0