View Single Post
      05-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #48
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Ghassan's quote is pretty dead on with where we were discussing a year ago.

We used the OEM crank, upgraded to forged rods and pistons, and bored the cylinder walls .020.

During the build we found that the alternator had been physically broken when the dealership did the dismantle of the motor... so add an alternator. The coolant tank was also nowhere to be found... add coolant tank.

Then after the build found the FRM was dead - so back to Stealer for the warranty repair. Where it also suddenly had cracked filtered vent pipes... so add that.

Then an o-ring in the oil cooler assembly...

Blah blah blah...

Long story long; Ghassan did a stellar job on the build. I'm close to 700 miles in and it genuinely seems bulletproof.

Up to you, but my BMW goes nowhere but Gee from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmokos View Post
I've owned mine less than 90 days, and had the local dealer here inspect it, pull the maintenance before I bought it, then had him do the VSS after I did buy it. He said the vehicle is in very good condition. Then seize in less than 2 months.

The dealer here in Illinois is pretty big and a well known dealer with BMWNA I'd imagine and has some pull for their customers (me). You'll have to go to BMWNA to get the customer assistance and without a franchisee getting any revenue out of the deal (your indie), there's nothing in it for them. My recommendation (which was my plan B) was to get a quote from Ghassan or have my local indie (who is pretty good) do the rebuild and make is stronger. Seems Ghassan is around $11K plus whatever strengthening you want to do. I was prepared for $14K. Not happy with it mind you, but not tossing away a $28K car I just bought and equally unhappy with paying $39 for a 2013. All in all a shit sandwich. I've owned 8 BMWs over the last 30 years in my life and this is a first.
Appreciate 0