argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
argento

I hope you’re wearing ear protection!

That peak from the midrange isn’t really from the crossover, but it’s the crossovers fault for not taking care of it. This is why I’m doing my own crossover, a standard LR 12db crossover just doesn’t work well with the b&w midrange in that aspect. The 16khz sounding ear piercing is why I don’t like aluminum dome tweeters, I wonder how the Diamonds contribute to this. Diamond tweeters are suppose to be best of both worlds warm sounding in the lower end of the “highs” and light and airy in the peak of the highs, not harsh.

Your adjusted curve looks good though! I think you could add a little bit more bass into the bass maybe +2 clicks, then see if adding in the 100hz & 500hz helps boost 250hz any. Where you have 2khz down -10 clicks, try reducing 1khz & 5khz -2 clicks to see if it improves 2khz. Then try adjusting 10khz down -1 or -2 clicks and see if you can raise the treble setting a little bit without adding harshness. Oh and before you do that go in the “RTA” tab, tap on “octave” in the bottom left corner and change it to “1/3 octave”. That way to get a closer look at each frequency between those octaves is doing making those adjustments. I’m wondering what frequency ranges the “bass” & “treble” are controlling, must be below 100hz and above 10khz. The “EQ cheat sheet” and “Eqing Vocals” articles I linked can help you figure out where you need to cut or boost to get the sound you want if you get stumped.

You mind taking a pic or screenshot of what your android parametric eq looks like? I’m wondering if it would be more useful to be using that in some of those areas I mentioned.

Also if you’d like I can take a screenshot on my RTA of what my system looks like fully tuned with pink noise
FWIW here's one opinion on B&W diamond tweeter's from the high end speaker designer I worked with:
“The main advantage they [diamond tweeters] have is that the membrane works as a piston higher in frequency allowing greater clarity but other than that, they have a rolled off top end and sound harsher than metal. The metal domes can be made thinner and easier to dampen the ringing, also the metal domes weigh less and had more output at the top..........there is much more to be said, but won’t go into it too much here. I designed many hi-fi tweeters. Personally, I would go with the metal dome over the diamond dome as the diamond will have a lack of air due to its fall off above 10khz. Since you are listening off axis mostly in a car, you want a boost above 10khz, not a roll-off."

I've been listening and entering minor adjustments all week, it's going well. I switched to Android mode with flat EQ and with no adjustments it sounded great...the USB DAC makes a huge improvement on depth. Still have to do more listening before I touch the 10band EQ. Below are the images of the Android/UAPP EQ:

Name:  UAPP 10band EQ.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  UAPP EQ Features.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  61.0 KB

And YES, share your RTA...