oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Hey guys,
Couple updates…I was looking at some painted reflectors like a month ago and thinking that I might just be able to do them myself. I’d done my wife’s reflectors on her X5 3.0si using plastidip for the rear and universal silver metallic for the front. Those turned out great and barely noticeable different in paint since the universal has slightly smaller flakes. For this I wanted to make sure that the paint actually matched so I looked for a company that makes OE colors in a spray can. I found Paintscratch.com which had Monte Carlo Blue Metallic shipped to Hawaii for around $35.

I didn’t realize that they had to ship it by boat since it’s an aerosol, so it took about 3 weeks to reach me. I pulled out the stock reflectors, did a quick 120 grit and 2000 grit rub down, taped off the gray holders, and painted. The paint came out very thin so it took 5 or 6 coats to get full color. I did a light wet sand, very light since I used the whole can on the four reflectors, then I did the clear coat. They came out pretty good, I should have put more clear coat on, but I was worried about messing it up…never been good with clear coat.

Interestingly, when I went to get some engine enamel from the autoparts store, I saw a close match paint for Monte Carlo Blue: Toyota Pearl Blue. I bought a can just to mess with and see if I could create a carbon fiber effect with silver and blue. The color is very close. Again, I think that the only difference is the cheap can has smaller flakes.

Last Update is that I’ve been working on some DIY intake tubes for the M and have neared completion. I did a test fit this morning after running some errands and everything fit great…until I pulled it all back apart and found that the fiberglass/resin had softened due to the engine heat. I don’t think it would actually melt, but would soften up too much to hold a seal if I tightened the rubber boot on. The plan now is to buy a length of sheet metal and bend it to fit the interior of the tubing end, then use metal epoxy to fix it in place. This would reinforce the part that gets the most heat. In researching the DIY I found that other people did this from the beginning, but for some reason I didn’t deem it necessary…should have done it right the first time.

Maybe you should use the sheet metal as a heat shield, but I also think it wouldn't fit or look good. Anyways, how are the fitments with the filters? It seems to be cutting it quite close for me
Appreciate 0