View Single Post
      12-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
pattobrien
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X5 E53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
When are the Warranties up? The private sale seems the way to go. Brakes should be done fairly soon though and some other preventative maintenance. There is some comfort buying from a dealer with their CPO inspection, but 20k miles is a huge difference.
The kicker is that the private seller said he replaced both the brakes and tires 10k and 5k miles ago, respectively. So that right there is worth even more money... Whereas, the dealer of course didn't know, and said it would have to be determined in the PPI.

As for warranties, the dealership is un-authorized, and so the car is not CPO, but they said they had an extended warranty for an additional $4k, but I never found out if that was a BMW original warranty or the dealership's own company's warranty. But the private seller's vehicle has 9months/18k miles left on the original warranty - (Side note: does anyone know if BMW's new policy of second-owner, non-transferable maintenance, affects vehicles before 2015, when the policy was introduced?)

And so, everything was pointing to the private seller.... so after some negotiating, we settled at $26.5k. Pending a PPI, I should be the owner of an e70 tomorrow evening!!

Thanks everyone for helping me through this.. The confirmation in this thread really helped me seal the deal quicker, before anyone else had the chance to. And most importantly, I feel great about the decision, compared to the nervousness I felt when I was about to sign for the dealer's vehicle. Not sure if my gut was right, but the peace of mind is really nice right about now

Pat

Last edited by pattobrien; 12-19-2016 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0