View Single Post
      01-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #68
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

After having many BMWs during years (mostly 7 series and 135i recently), I didn't get immediatelly that X6 might be interesting car.
I even resisted to try it. It looked big and heavy (what it is), I doubted it's capability to be comfortable and sporty.
Boy, was I wrong.
I live in region with lot of snow in winter and roads are far from being good.
Buying right tyres is crucial both for winter and summer.
After I've found than Nokian Z serie tyres are exactly what car needs (exemplarly comfortable, silent, controllable, great traction, braking) and totally unsensitive to road conditions.
90% of criticism might be resolved simply by right choice of tyres.
Period.
Period once again.
Buy right tyres and car will behave exactly as expected, smooth on the road and very competent on reasonably off-roads situations, if such occur.
In all other respects it is car that has all top BMW qualities (style, refinement, good engines, excellent options).
I've chosen to buy one with 3.0L engine, as it already delivers enough power and has excellent ability to chip tuning the ECU (further 80 HP for peanuts), so I didn't see real reason to spend price difference for 100 HP more.
I bought it with all options and spent bit more for additional exterior touches, as car deserves that.
It looks and drives as exclusive car and I'm very sorry if many fellow BMW lovers are not in position to afford it.
It would not be same car, if it would be done in cheaper fashion.
So, X6 is what it is. Car for people who like bigger size, but still being in control and preferring active driving.
It is not a sport car, but it can be driven dynamically with fun. 135i is naturally much better for sport oriented driving, but that's not something X6 owners didn't know when they made their choice (and very likely that for such purpose many X6 owners have second car).
Although there are so many X6 haters around (as well as 7 series haters), the car mostly induces positive reaction among people.
IMO X6 has its place in our world.

Last edited by raceman; 01-10-2010 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0