View Single Post
      08-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

X5 35D MPG, how do you guys do it?

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if you could share some tips for getting the best MPG out of the 35D. I ask because we have had one for 2 weeks now (around 800 miles on it now) and to be honest the MPG figures are less than what we expected. Given that most is city/short (20miles) freeway commute, we are getting around 21.5mpg. The best I have seen was this Saturday as we drove for about 1.5hrs on the freeway with 24MPG for the trip (all while driving very conservatively)

So I wonder how are some people reporting around 30 (or overish) MPGs on the highway and around 24-25 mixed while not driving like a gramma? My wife is getting on my case as I sold her on the X5 as providing better MPG than our outgoing lexus (we are right now getting about 2MPG better but Diesel is more expensive than gas). Is it a thing where the engine will get more efficient as we put more miles? I also discovered that by turning the rear climate off, it helped a lot with getting better MPGs (on that Saturday trip on the way there with the rear climate ON the avg was about 22, driving back with the rear climate OFF the avg went up to almost 25)

Thanks for any tips/settings I can play with to maximize fuel and hopefully get as close to that advertised 26MPG hwy.
Appreciate 0