View Single Post
      02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M and E60 M5

I always say that coming from Domestics and muscle cars that I have the "burden of knowledge" knowing what a decent exhaust should cost. Naturally we get slapped with the BMW tax by most manufacturers. No doubt there is serious quality in a handful of these higher-priced systems and it's no disrespect to the manufacturers, but the prices for these systems are so marked up it's not even funny. Especially for something that amounts to a set of mufflers and some piping. The SuperSprint exhaust for our X5Ms is literally a muffler, piping, and some tips welded together and they think $3K is a fair price to charge? Of course...because others are charging upwards of $4500. Not to mention the Akra systems that touch on $7K.

I like the idea of the Megan setup because it might wake some people up to what else is out there. It's probably not what I'd consider high-end, but I still think many people's opinion of a product is swayed by the price of that product and not necessarily the quality.

I had a $2000 E46 M3 GTR hood from a certain carbon fiber company that fit like garbage (the kidney grilles fell right through the openings and had to be glued in, huge gaps everywhere, etc.), so it's clear that price and quality are not one and the same.
Appreciate 0