01-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Truth is, most prospective buyers don't think that way. They buy the car, but not cost of the maintenance that goes along with owning a true M car.
I know, most people just buy the car and don't think about TRUE cost of ownership (that means proper maintenance done ON TIME with quality parts). Most people just buy the cars and "dump" them right before the warranty expires, leaving the next owner to deal with things as they start to fail from poor maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
I have a 2011 x5 d and that things in the shop all the damn time. I would recommend a warranty. Last time it was for a maf sensor/iat sensor module. Had nox sensors replaced. Some sort of turbo related parts. Vacuum control module and some other bits and ends. I'm sure out of pocket would have cost 5k already. Get the extended and dump it at 100k or 6 years unless you want some steep repair bills.
See what I mean?

That all being said, its perfectly acceptable to only own it with warranty, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that there shouldn't be any fear of owning an expensive vehicle out of warranty. You have to plan for maintenance and just be ready if something happens. Ideally, you're capable of DIYing some of the smaller stuff to save money. That's what I try to do.

Case in point, I bought the X5///M knowing it was originally a $95K vehicle. To buy something that expensive and not expect expensive repair bills would be silly. But, if you can't keep $1-2000 extra laying around for an unexpected maintenance bill, then you probably shouldn't buy that type of vehicle. I got a great deal on the vehicle, so if I have to dump $5k into it for maintenance, then I still have a good vehicle at a fair price. I guess that's just how I look at it. Good luck.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0