Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
According to the instructions, adjustments are done from a fully closed position. Hence the term 'clicks open' on their settings. That's how I have mine setup and it rides great. Taken from their instructions. Go to page 4:

http://www.kw-store.com/extras/docs/...ea68577098.pdf

As such here are the settings:

Front:

Rebound - 6 from full closed
Compression - 5 from full closed

Rear:

Rebound - 9 from full closed
Compression - 5 from full closed

Adjusting them beyond KW's settings are not needed imo and I will give you guys my reasoning. What you guys need to realize is that KW only makes the V3 for our cars, which has more adjustments then we need, let alone know what to do with from a technical level. All we know is softer or firmer, we don't know the effective dampening characteristics required to handle the spring rates present. Plus the springs and bags are progressive so the rates are not constant.

Now the springs were designed to work with the oem rear bags. So this means the shocks are paired with them since it is a coilover setup. The true pairing is only done at KW's specs, the rest of the combinations are going to have the shocks out of balance with the progressive spring rates. They should have just made the V1's for our cars, but that is probably not a high end enough solution in the given marketplace for a vehicle like this.

I did experiment with both softer and firmer settings just to see and it's easily apparent that they are not matched to the spring rates. So I went back to KW's settings and couldn't be happier. I'm confident that once you guys set it up this way you will notice an immediate and improved driving experience.

Hopefully this will clear everything up for you guys and we can put this to rest.
I would LOVE to buy you a drink if you're ever in Houston! This is exactly what I was looking for! Going to give it a shot once my car is out of the paint shop!
Appreciate 0