05-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmed View Post
I've noticed a smell of mild gas or chemical that appears every 5-10 min while the AC is on. It happens even when the AC is set circulate the indoor air. Anyone experience something similar with a gas like smell from the AC? Thx
Could also be from condensation on the coils. When the AC cycles and cools the air, the humidity in the air will condensate on the cold coils and will normally be expelled to the outside of the car. However if the compressor turns off and the fan keeps circulating air over the these coils, whatever moisture is still left on the coil will be evaporated and carried back into the cabin. This 'moist air' can have a somewhat funny smell at times. This will only last for a few seconds to a few minutes after the compressor turned off and will go away once the compressor turns back on. This is a normal (but somewhat unpleasant) side effect of AC systems. So when you are driving and the AC cycles on and off every 5 to 10 minutes, that's when you will experiencing this funny smell. It should lessen the more you use it but it depends on a LOT of different factors.

Hope this helps you
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0