View Single Post
      04-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

My $0.02 on iDrive:

I have been a software engineer for over 40 years. (Yes, there were computers back then!) For 12 years ending in 1998 I ran my own software company. If any of my people -- over 250 of them -- had ever come up with iDrive or the early X5 NAV system, I would have fired them on the spot. They are quite possibly two of the worst designed user interfaces I have ever seen.

IMHO, iDrive has progressed from being truly awful to not too bad. The fact that some people are comfortable with it has nothing to do with the fact that many of its operations were -- and some still are -- illogical and confusing. I have lots of software that I can make sing, but only because I use it all the time, not because it is well engineered.

Rumors have been doing the rounds for a while now that BMW has contracted Apple to redesign the iDrive interface. If true, that would be one very smart move.

Come on, guys! EIGHT YEARS to get it to the point where it is "not bad"? (Can't comment on Infiniti or Lexus as I haven't seen either.)
Appreciate 0