Drives: 2020 BMW 740i

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjjklj View Post
... He said that he thinks acid wheel cleaner caused corrosion ...
Ask him, or the service manager, for written proof on what basis they believe that acid wheel cleaner is the cause ...

Show him the following information: you have been using an acid free wheel cleaner called SONAX (SONAX is a German product and privately labels the wheel cleaner gel for BMW. For proof, ask the dealership or the rep for the Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS, required by Federal Law. You will see the name SONAX on it.).

Buy a bottle, use some of it and bring it with you.

You have been following BMW's recommendation. May be not the BMW product, but the exact equivalent. No acid product has touched your wheel.

If the rep says that it is environmental acid, ask him to prove it. Tell him that it is your opinion that the wheel corrosion is a manufacturing defect and the product does not stand up to it intended use.

Here's another useful link: http://www.sonaxusa.com/blog/the-sci...-wheel-cleaner

Attached is also the SONAX MSDS. pH = 7.0 - 7.5. Not acid!

BTW, as a result of this forum thread, I am going through the EXACT same thing with my dealer with my 2012 style 336 wheels, 24k miles. They haven't come back yet with a determination, but I intend to use the above argument . LOL ..., it might even be the same regional rep! Ten to one that this rep does not even know the difference between acid and caustic, or what a pH is!
Good advice but I bought the car used from a BMW dealer. No idea how the previous guy washed the wheels or even if he did. Guess I could track him down as I have his name. Either way I've owned many cars and many BMWs too and never have I seen wheels do this after 2 years. The Lincoln Navigator I just traded had chrome wheels and even with the salt where I live, they looked great after 8 years.
Appreciate 0