09-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #52
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
My point was he should NOT be a cop because he exhibits poor judgement to put himself in such a position where he feels compelled to open fire /andor is incompable of proper judgement when to fire.

If he is going to startle the suspect, he should expect a startle response, no? Failed that judgement.
Don't startle, guy moves at normal speed.
Startle, EXPECT he will move rapidly to comply with whatever YOU are telling him to do - the brain has no time to think in that situation.
So... unfit to be a cop.

I don't know what is fair punishment, but I think it is hard legally to punish him for anything. Everything is on the PD for hiring him and compensate the victim.
Absolutly agree. That is exactly what happened and the cop didn't read that body language from the start. He could have simply said, i noticed you pulled in the parking lot not wearing your seat belt. Are you aware that it's illegal to operate a motor vehicle in this state without your seatbelt fastened? That would have diffused the victim's surprise and anxiety. The victim's response would have given the officer insight into his state of mind. Etc...

100% the officer's fault.

But like you said, it's difficult to charge him criminally, when technically he committed no crime. He didn't act with criminal intent but best case scenario would be some type of involuntary criminal charge since the situation came about due to his negligence.

He certainly has no business being a cop ever again and department he worked for should be investigated for it's training procedures. Outside of that i have a hard time coming up with what is justified punishment as well.

And due to lack of response, i'm assuming everyone else is also finding it difficult.