View Single Post
      09-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #45
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

So what is real justice?

If you go by the posts in this thread, justice will involve a tall branch and a short rope, or a firing squad.

Some evident facts for digestion:

1. Officer handled the entire stop incorrectly from the start. Communication is key and the victim was obviously startled to step out of his vehicle and find a cop car there. Seems to me that due to his surprise, he was eager to comply with the officer's request. I feel the officer should have controlled the situation better from the start by not requesting documents until he was in a proper position to control the situation.

2. At a range of 10' any officer can get a better hit percentage of 25%. He was obviously high on adrenaline and fear for what he thought was a life and death situation for himself.

3. Officer didn't fire until victim turned around with something in his hand near his waist. Turns out it was a wallet. (And don't hear me wrong, I don't believe the victim did anything wrong. By my estimation, all of the victim's actions were justified.)

4. Deadly force is deadly force. After an officer or someone has determined that deadly force is justified, you fire until the perceived threat is no longer a threat. So 1 well placed shot or 10 shots, no difference. There have been reaction studies of people shooting guns and they have found that after being told to stop firing, on average people still fired 3 to 4 more shots. Those studies concluded that was a result of the time it takes your brain to control your finger. I can only imagine that under stress, that reaction time is even slower.

5. If you look at this video objectively, i think you'll conclude that the officer was not acting out of malice or hate, but rather genuine fear.

6. This incident is entirely caused by poor police work.

It's unfortunate that this officer's poor judgement could have cost someone their life. What's also unfortunate, as someone else posted, the view from the officer looks very similar to what it looks like just before cops get shot. There are far more incidents where people fire on police without warning than the opposite. It's clear that the officer made an enormous mistake that was 100% due to his negligence (not controlling the situation prior to asking for ID docs) and deserves punishment. For any sane person, that punishment doesn't include any rope, firing squad, or shawshank.

IF, you can see that the officer didn't act out of malice. And IF, you can see that this incident was caused by his poor communication and police work. Knowing that the victim will be well compensated for his injuries. (that could be life changing).....What do you think a proper punishment should be for this officer's mistake?