View Single Post
      05-03-2023, 07:15 PM   #11
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Some progress on the build… Decided to wire in my power block and ground block. Also finally added the focal fdp 1.900 for my sub AND got myself a focal fdp 4.600 for the B&W underseats. I ended up 3d printing an amp rack out of tpu to stack the focal amp since they’re the same size, which does it’s job now but when I’m properly set up to print ASA I’ll be reprinting in out of that instead for stiffness. . I’ll attach some pics of my messy subfloor, ugh, please don’t judge my mess I had some time to install the amps but haven’t had time to neaten up my wiring and placement of everything, it’s all roughly installed lol, it bother me as much as it bothers you. And the duct tape on the sub grill is temporary too lol it’s been popping off when the sub is playing, I need to install the threaded inserts in the sub enclosure which should make it so the grill doesn’t keep popping off.

Anyways the difference with the focal fdp 1.900 is staggering. The subwoofer went from muddy and boomy to clear, tight, and vibrates the shit out of everything. Biggest vibration culprits are the overhead switch panel and the plastic trim piece between the two panos… so I have some sound deadening to add. Other than that it’s great though!
As for the underseats they really came alive. I forgot how snappy and punchy the underseats can be, it seems like I could only have one or the other (tight & snappy vs bassy) before distortion became an issue. But it’s a lot clearer and wicked snappy with a ton of bass and mid-bass. With their new focal amp they’re getting plenty of power, possibly too much. I’m honestly not sure how much they’re getting, but the focal amp puts out 400w each @4ohms bridged, so it might be a smidge over 250w. I dialed it down a hair from where I had the gain set using my dd-1 though and they seem very happy, no weird smells.

I have some other projects with the upper frequency range still in the works but I’m still doing some testing so nothing worth talking about right now.
Attached Images

SlowX6M288.00
jbash87252.50