View Single Post
      06-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

That's excellent. I knew BMW thought it through very well. I just didn't know how they did it. So for the most part the backbone of the systems are conventional mechanical systems, that happen to be controlled by electronics. I particularly liked the part that says:

"If the engine is switched off, electromechanical brake cables support the function of the conventional handbrake."

Just to give you an idea about how anal I am about certain things. Back in the mid-1980's I purchased a new car with full electronic engine control. After parking it in my driveway I lifted the hood and disconnected a computer control plug to see if the thing would run with out it. A dashboard light came on, the idle was a little rough, but it ran OK. You could even drive it that way if you had to.

I put together computers back in those days and knew how unreliable they could be so it was reassuring to have that knowledge. I used to be that way about elevators, too, but after researching all the safety features, no problem.
Appreciate 0