04-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Kungen
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 Xdrive35d

Evolve tuning

Hi Ronald.

I have never owned a 535d, although driving one several times. I agree with rsyed, the size and elevated position of the X6 perfectly disguise the true speed.

I have just let the extremely knowledgeable and friendly people at Evolve Automotive in Luton, UK, give some additional punch to my X6 through their ECU tuning (http://www.evo-s.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=6_3055_3056).

I did the tuning myself (since there is quite a distance from my place to Luton in UK) through an additional unit Evolve provided me with. The unit is connected to the OBDII-port, where the tuning map is transferred. Everything takes about 10 minutes. The unit can contain three maps (original + two tuning maps). By this your car could be reset to original before service etc and then back again to the tuned map after service. Any eventual error code will also be written over. If BMW would upgrade the ECU software, all you have to do is to email the new ECU software to Evolve and you will have a matching tuned map back in an hour or so. (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=33)

I normally drive rather defensive so the tuning is more of an "just in case" for a sudden overtake or similar. Evolve has different maps and gave me their strongest one on 360bhp/730Nm. The car is noticeable quicker on all gears after the tuning and the perception is that the X6 now is about as fast (or even faster) than the standard 535d on 282bhp I have driven. I just have around 1000km with the tuning so far but could detect a slight improvement of the mpg (I made an unscientific test over 2 x 80km at steady state with cruise control giving a 5% gain).

The best of all is that Evolve covers the BMW warranty in case there would be some obstacles with BMW due to the tuning. Evolve provide this coverage free of charge.

I will try to make some acceleration tests pre-/post tuning later on if I get hold of some Racelogic-device. I assume the 6.39 sec from Johnbmw6's box is the one to beat...

My X6 is equipped with Adaptive Drive, Sport Package and Active Steering so the handling is very nice, especially considering the weight and ground clearance. I would say it is comparable to the 5-series.

So far I am highly satisfied with the X6, and even more after the tuning from Evolve.

Last edited by Kungen; 04-18-2009 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0