View Single Post
      08-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #17
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
I like our E70 X5 SAV 35i but the wife isn't so hot on it. Little things like the learning curve for button placement and idrive bother her. So I looked at what ours is worth just a year later and was pretty shocked to see that the resale value is only about $26,000, plus whatever 2 more years of CPO warranty are worth.

2013 X5 SAV with 20" wheels, white/black, no dents, no scratches, just a couple of tiny rock chips in front, pristine inside, (prev used by the finance manager, a woman with no kids) 41,000 miles, cold weather and convenience packages. We paid $37,000, plus I added a tow hitch and wiring myself. It's a tough thing to know it dropped $11,000 in a year with just 6,000 additional miles put on it.

What's most surprising is that I watched the market for 6 months before buying, they had been priced over $40-42K and then took a slide to $37K for a nice example so I snapped it up.

Are X5 buyers so trend concious that nobody wants a prev gen version? Other than overly heavy steering it does great. Even the sport seats don't match our Volvo for comfort but then nothing really does.

I'm probably going to ride this baby into old age, as I hate getting burned on resale like this and at some point it will stop depreciating as it will always be a low mileage vehicle. Great for trips with the dogs in back, handles high speeds like a champ.

Maybe this sort of crossover is now out of style? (heavier than newer designs)

Big issue with the resale is the recalls (safety airbags) and no immediate resolution. Was at the dealer last week (getting the fuel pump recall done) and was looking at dumping the x5m for an M4 and the dealer would not take the trade in due to not being able to resell the car till the recall(s) were done. They estimated the airbags being done mid next year for my car.
Appreciate 0