View Single Post
      10-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ums81 View Post
The CPO on my 2011 E70 will run out in December. I have about 77k miles on it but don't want to own it without some type of warranty.

I never thought i would say this but i'm seriously considering moving on to the Volvo XC90 R Design rather than a new X5 or even a Q7.

http://gtspirit.com/2015/01/13/detroit-2015-volvo-xc90/

Anyone ever driven one of these?
We've owned two Volvos including one now (S60 R design) and we like Volvo. We test drove the R design XC90 after noticing that the Momentum seats were too flat and unsupportive. The R design seats are fantastic, and include the thigh extenders that make them just about perfect.

On the drive I felt it had adequate power, about like the E70 X5 35i, but a grainier engine note from the 4 cylinder. Handling was secure but not as sharp as an X5 with the sport suspension. It is a little bigger and may feel it. It's secure and confident but not sporty. Even wih 22" wheels the ride was really good, and they looked great.

My disappointments were that for such a large vehicle there isn't much storage space up front for things, and the side console was smaller. I also did not like the way you have to switch into sport mode and back. I like just flipping a shifter sideways. This requires you to rotate a knob and push and look at the screen to confirm you got it right. I also prefer more knobs for controls. Finally, the vehicles actually on the lots were either stripped with 18" wheels or pretty loaded. The cheapest R design we could find was about $60,000. Not bad compared to a BMW, but about $5,000 of that was stuff I had no use for. We purchase, and usually at resale time that counts for little. The prospect of getting one with the trim line, exterior color, interior color, and options we actually wanted would be just about nil. This is a common Volvo problem, as they have so few vehicles available, and they do NOT like to order vehicles, and it takes much much longer to get one ordered and delivered than BMW's, which are built just right up the road from us. I read some reports indicating that XC90 residuals were lower than hoped for, also. Our previous Volvos have not had good resale value.

Ultimately it came down to the fact that we'd have to spend $60K on a Volvo and we found a really clean low mile CPO 2013 X5 35i SAV with 20" wheels, convenience package, and cold weather package for $37K. We don't pile miles on, so we went used. We'll have some form of warranty for 3 more years, just one less than the new XC90.

Vs a non-sport X5, I'd pick the Volvo. But I prefer the better handling of the SAV version to the better ride of the Volvo. You can't carve corners in the Volvo.
Appreciate 1