View Single Post
      12-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #76
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketro View Post
I wanted to post my experience on installing the Avin unit on my beloved X5.

The good
  • The screen is awesome, resolution is great and the touch is flawless
  • Even the old bmw software looks better on it
  • No rattles and form fits into old screen spot perfectly
  • Improves car looks

The Bad
Firstly the provided wiring harness broke and the optical cables are now freely moving in and out. I emailed Avin for a new harness and awaiting reply. I was careful and the plastic seems brittle.

The sound on the E70 does not work with only the optical cables. I'm talking about the sound from the screen. The plug only fits in one way so no error i assume, but i basically could hear sound for 3 seconds after using the aux cable to the armrest after which the sound source automatically moved back to bluetooth for some reason. Also running a aux cable to the center console is pain in the ass.

The only way to get the usb cables into the glove box is through the existing usb connection, punching that out and using the hole to feed the wires. Unless someone else has managed to find another way ?

The units does not detect my phones hotspot (iPhone 6s)- so i guess i'll be buying a usb modem to have google maps working.

Forget about swapping the sd card once the screen is installed, i'm talking about the one on the side. you'd probably use the usb cables provided.

All in all if the sound can work without an aux the unit is pretty good but considering i like my music, i'll be bummed if the sounds does not get fixed.
Sucks about the wiring harness breaking, sounds pretty fragile if I do say so myself. I'll know by the end of the week on when my unit arrives but thanks for the feedback for all of us to be on the look out for things as such as this

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0